Hope you’re having a lovely bank holiday weekend? We’re taking it nice and easy. No major plans, just chilling out at home, seeing some friends and lots of baking! =]
You know how some things just belong together? Strawberries and cream, fish and chips, cheese and tomato, lemon and mint, apples and cinnamon. The list is endless. Well, this week’s recipe is based on one of these perfect pairs…
Raspberry and dark chocolate cupcakes!! ❤
They’re super cute and a great way of incorporating fresh summer berries into your baking.
Fluffy, moist, dark chocolate cupcakes, with generous swirls of raspberry-infused whipped mascarpone cream, topped with dark chocolate ganache and a raspberry.
^ This perfect light pink colour comes from a homemade raspberry reduction which I added to the frosting mixture – not a drop of food colouring in sight!
Get in my face already!
I mean – seriously, look how good these look – you can see just how perfect the cake crumb is – moist and fluffy. And that creeeeaaaam, it perfectly balances the richness of the chocolate. Ugh, so good!
Treat yourself, make these soon guys!
- 110g plain flour
- 160g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 120ml buttermilk
- 1 medium egg
- 50g salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml boiling water
- 1 heaped tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 300g raspberries, rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 600ml double cream
- 125g mascarpone
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100ml double cream
- Extra raspberries to decorate
- Make the raspberry reduction (for the frosting) a few hours ahead or even the night before so it has enough time to chill in the fridge.
- Use a piping bag and tip to swirl on the raspberry frosting.
- Pour the chocolate drizzle with a spoon and top with a raspberry.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark five and line a cupcake tin with 12 cases.
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda) to a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add buttermilk, egg, vanilla, extract and butter to another bowl, whisk to combine.
- Pour the boiling water over the instant coffee in a mug. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix well to combine before adding the coffee. Mix again.
- Divide the batter into the prepared cupcake liners and bake for 18mins or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once done, cool on a wire rack.
- Begin by making the raspberry reduction – add the raspberries, lemon juice and cornflour to a small saucepan and heat on low until berries completely break down and release their juices. Pour over a sieve set over a bowl then use the back of a spoon to press the pulp through. Cover and chill in the fridge.
- To make the frosting, add the raspberry reduction, double cream, mascarpone and icing sugar to a bowl and whisk until lightly whipped.
- Break up the chocolate in a small bowl.
- Heat the cream in a microwave for 15 – 20 seconds until hot but not yet bubbling.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for 2 mins before stirring together.