I hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend? I can’t believe there’re only two weeks left till the end of the year! I feel like I’ve just about got used to jotting the date down correctly and now it’s about to change all over again. #FirstWorldProblems
This week, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you to cosy up on the sofa with…
Sticky. Toffee. Pudding. Cupcakes.
With dates being in season, they’re a perfect seasonal Christmas-y treat. I’ve only recently started liking them. I’ve been buying the fancy medjool dates from Waitrose and they pretty much just melt apart in texture with a complex caramel flavour which pairs perfectly with brown sugar in this recipe.
Gah, I don’t have the words to describe how delicious these cupcakes are.
Moist, surprisingly light caramely sponge, baked in a gooey toffee sauce before being topped with a mascarpone whipped cream and toffee sauce drizzle.
^ The star of the show, the date. It pairs perfectly with treacle and brown sugar. The trio work so well together!
^ Can you see that thin wet, soggy layer at the bottom. Adding a spoonful of toffee sauce to the cupcake liners before the batter was such a good move. It’s reminiscent of the classic English dessert without being a complete sweetness overload.
Make these soon guys!
- 200g medjool dates, pitted
- 45ml boiling water
- 100g butter, softened
- 160g demerara sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 165g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 120ml buttermilk
Whipped cream frosting
- 600ml double cream
- 100g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 100g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line your cupcake tin with 12 liners.
- Chop the dates, place in a small bowl, pour over boiling water, cover with another plate and leave to soak and steam for 10mins.
- Add dates and water to a food processor and blitz until it turns into a thick, creamy paste.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- One by one, add the eggs, mixing well to combine each time.
- Add the date paste and treacle and mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Add one third of the dry flour mix to the to the wet mixture before whisking well to combine.
- Add half the buttermilk and whisk well to combine.
- Continue till all of the ingredients have been added, mixed and combined.
- Add a tablespoon of the toffee sauce to the bottom of each cupcake liner before evenly distributing the batter between cupcake liners and bake for 25-28minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once done, cool on a wire rack.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until just whipped and thick enough to pipe.
- Using a piping bag and tips, decorate the cooled cupcakes with cream before drizzling over the remaining toffee sauce.
- Add all the ingredients to a pot and heat on medium until well combined.