Hope you had a wonderful weekend?
Sorry for the radio silence from me. Events in my personal life kinda took over. For those of you who don’t know, my mum was diagnosed with cancer last year, thankfully, it was early stages and curable. She had an op to remove it last month which meant enduring a few very stressful, tumultuous and emotional weeks. (And, I’m eternally grateful to the handful of people that supported me through it.) After it was all done and dusted, apart from the obvious feelings of gratefulness and relief, the burnout took over. I feel better now, having had taken some time out for me.
Anyway, on to more exciting things, spring is in the air in London town. It feels like such a treat – the sun is shining, the weather is warmer and now that the clocks have gone forwards, we get to leave work whilst it’s still light outside. I’ve now also packed away my woolly winter coats (praying I won’t need them for a while!) – I’m excited. Summer is on its way!
And I’ve got the perfect summery treat for you guys this week –
Blood. Orange Drizzle. Cake.
A moist, orange infused cake loaf, topped with a zingy, dripping citrusy sweet drizzle and candied blood oranges…
It’s loosely based on my recipe for lemon drizzle cake, but, I think this is even better.
I think it’s the candied oranges that really set it apart for me. I mean, just look at them!!
This cake has me dreaming of walking through orange orchards on a sunny drenched afternoon in Sicily, with a view of the shimmering turquoise waters – boy, do I need a holiday.
Seriously guys, this cake will not disappoint and will lead to splutters of “omg, this is soooo good!” upon consumption. You have been warned.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 335g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- Zest of 2 blood oranges
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150ml whole milk
- Juice of 2 blood oranges
- 100g icing sugar
- Juice of 1 blood orange
- 200g icing sugar
- 200g granulated sugar
- 350ml water
- 1.5 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 and line your baking tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition before adding the orange zest and then mixing again.
- Sift your flour and salt before folding it in.
- Add the milk and mix in well before pouring the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Heat together the juice and icing sugar till just dissolved.
- Whisk well to combine the juice and sugar.
- Heat the water and sugar in a large frying pan on a medium heat, until just dissolved then reduce the heat until it’s on a slow simmer.
- Add the oranges and cook for 30 mins on each side to candy.
- Once the cake has cooked, poke all over with a skewer or cake tester and slowly pour over the syrup, allowing it to soak through.
- Remove from the tin, and pour over the drizzle, allowing it to drip down the edges of the cake.
- Slice the candied oranges in half and decorate the top of the cake.