My obsession is going strong right now – two blood orange recipes on the trot!! But, I mean, it would be rude not to take advantage of them as they’re only around for a short stint every year. As I’ve already got two blood orange cake recipes up on my blog (blood orange drizzle loaf and almond and tonka bean blood orange upside down cake) I figured I need to switch it up a little!
Exhibit A: blood orange lemonade
It’s such a simple recipe that you can knock up in a matter of minutes. What’s not to love?!
Let’s be honest, lemonade is always great. I adore a cold glass of lemony goodness, the balance between the sharp acidity and sweetness served up in an icy drink. And, you know, I’m not fussy – I love a classic lemonade as much as I do a raspberry lemonade or a minty lemonade that you get in middle eastern restaurants…
Summertime might be a few months away but this drink will get you in the mood for lazy days in the sunshine!
A beautiful red citrussy concoction – simple, tart and so refreshing! Oh and additional points because this drink comes loaded with Vitamin C to help you defend yourself against the illnesses that are out to get you in the winter!
^^ Would you just look at the colour! ❤
So, so good!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 400ml freshly squeezed blood orange juice (approx 10 oranges)
- 2 lemons
- Simple sugar syrup (heat equal parts cold water and granulated sugar until dissolved then cool in fridge) – I used 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and had a little to spare
- 500ml sparkling water
- Blood orange slices and ice to serve
- Add 100ml blood orange juice, the juice of half a lemon and 5 tbsp of simple syrup to each of your four glasses and stir to combine.
- Add ice and slice of blood orange before topping with sparkling water to serve.
- You may need to add a little extra simple syrup depending on the acidity of your lemons and oranges – adjust as needed.