How’s it going?
It’s been a long week for me, meeting after meeting at work and then
trying failing to be productive over the weekend but nevertheless having some fun on the way. Myself and Mr Man are on our way for a double date dinner shortly, so I thought I’d quickly bang out a post before we depart. I can not wait! Yes, we are old people now, our weekend thrills come from meeting friends for food and catch ups. But it’s okay, I can live with that, whenever there’s food involved I’m happy! =P
Apparently, this week is national baking week… What better way to enjoy it than whipping up a citrusy delight in the form of the classic lemon drizzle cake. Super simple, delicious and uh, high in Vitamin C…
Ingredients (serves 12 – 15):
- 6 large eggs
- 380g unsalted butter
- 530g caster sugar
- 500g all purpose flour, sifted
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 3.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 200ml whole milk
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 200g icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 220g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4, grease your bundt tin well then dust with plain flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk in a large bowl until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well. Then add in the lemon zest and stir through.
- Add half the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix well. Following this, add half the milk and stir well. Repeat.
- Pour batter into tin and bake for around an hour and fifteen to an hour and a half or until your cake tester comes out clean. (Check on the cake after 20/30mins, and once it’s nice and golden brown, cover with tin foil and resume cooking).
- In the mean time prepare the syrup by heating the lemon juice and icing sugar in pan until the sugar dissolves. Poke the cake all over with a skewer. Slowly and evenly, pour over the cake once it’s cooked.
- Leave the cake to cool completely then make the icing by whisking the ingredients until nice and smooth. Drizzle over and leave for a few minutes to set before serving.
P.S. Subscribe to get weekly updates!