It’s that time of the week again. I feel like the weekend has disappeared with the blink of an eye. Hello Monday blues. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy work and everything but I do wish the days, in fact,
weeks years would stop disappearing before my eyes. When I was younger I remember adults always sighing and declaring, “life’s short.” I used to chuckle to myself, “it’s the longest damn thing you’ll ever go through.” But now I get it. I really do. Last time I checked it was like 2004 or something. How is it now 2014?!?! NO. I can’t. I just CAN NOT… On the plus side we’ve had an extra beautiful hour enveloped within our warm duvets. I mean, it won’t make up for the last decade, but it’s a start.
This week I’ve made individual, chocolate hazelnut tiramisus… Chocolatey, rich, infused with hazelnuts and with a warming hit of coffee – what more could one want from a dessert?! They also look very enticing, I love that you can see each of the separate layers! These things are a great do ahead dessert for when you have friends and family over – just make them in advance, cover them and store them in the fridge for up to 36hrs.
Word of warning, they do contain raw eggs so I recommend using the freshest, free range ones you can find and probably best to avoid if you’re preggers, a small child or in bad health. Sorry!
Ingredients (serves 8):
- 1 pack sponge fingers
- 150g chocolate – I think I used 50g dark chocolate and 100g milk chocolate but my memory fails me here
- 175ml double cream
- 450g mascapone cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100ml hazelnut syrup – I use this stuff, also works great in coffees
- 75g caster sugar
- Good quality, strong, brewed coffee (preferably espresso style), cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat cream in a medium pan until warm, be careful not to let it boil.
- In a medium bowl, break up the chocolate and pour over the heated cream. Stir after a few minutes to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks with the sugar until pale and voluminous. Whisk in vanilla, 50ml hazelnut syrup and mascarpone until smooth.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Add remaining 50ml hazelnut syrup to the brewed coffee/ espresso.
- To layer, start with a little drizzle of the chocolate mix in the bottom of your 8 glasses (tumblers are the best size here but by all means go ahead and make this in a tray if that’s what you want!), then quickly dip the sponge fingers on both sides (I broke mine in half first to fit my glasses…), and finally top with the mascarpone mix. If you want it to be clean, defined layers, then I’d recommend and icing bag for this step but I’m lazy and didn’t trouble myself.
- Repeat until the glasses are full and you’ve run out of ingredients.
- Top with any remaining chocolate, a dusting of cocoa or chocolate shavings.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours, or over night until you’re ready to serve.
Let me know what you think and don’t forget to subscribe!