The weather in London has been amazing these last few weeks: summer is definitely in the air! I love it. Like I reeeeally, really really love it. It’s by far my favourite time of the year.
I can’t get enough of the sunshine, the lazy weekends chilling – mostly horizontally – whilst reading in the park and the looong days. Honestly, nothing compares to the 9/10pm sunsets.
Summertime also coincides with the Indian mango season.
^ Alphonso mangoes – I’ve been buying these beauties by the boxful. Slice open the golden yellow skin and you’ll reveal a saffron-coloured, almost buttery flesh, bursting with sweet juices and a mouthwatering aroma.
They’re the star of today’s recipe:
The perfect summer drink…
A sweet mango slushie balanced out with fresh lime and a little kick of heat from the jalapenos. Note: It’s not super spicy but should leave a slightly warm feeling in the back of your throat.
They’re so freaking good – I wish I had the words to describe just how delicious they are!
And so, so refreshing!
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 200g Alphonso mangoes, cubed and frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 limes
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Zest of 1 lime (optional)
- To make your spicy simple syrup add 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a medium saucepan. Slice your jalapenos lengthways and add them to the pan.
- Heat on medium until the water boils and the sugar dissolves. Set aside, allow to cool down completely. (Tip: you can do this up to a couple of days in advance and store in an airtight jar in the fridge).
- Add 100ml of the spicy simple syrup (the rest can be stored in the fridge for a few days), 100ml water, the zest and juice of 2 limes and the frozen mango to a blender and blitz till well combined.
- (Optional) To decorate glasses, combine 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp sugar and the zest of one lime in a small, flat plate. Rub half a lime around the rim before dipping into the prepared mixture. Slice a lime/jalapeno / both and add to the rim.
- Pour slushie into prepared glasses, add a straw, sprinkle over the leftover sugar/chilli mix and enjoy immediately!