Hey guys and girls,
Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend?
Last week was rough. I feel like the word tired doesn’t even begin to explain how I was feeling. Run down. Exhausted. Drained. Fatigued. Burnt out. No, I’m not sure any of them quite encapsulate how I felt. My mind was just constantly (and inaccurately) calculating the hours, minutes and seconds left till I would be home and back in bed. It was crap, really crap. However, after a weekend of almost pure hibernation, I finally feel like a normal, functioning human being again. And best of all, I’ve got tomorrow booked off from work. =)
As I’m sat here typing this, I’ve just realised it’s almost 9pm and it’s still bright outside. How I love long days, especially of the sunny kind. And, it’s apt that I’ve got a summery recipe to share with you this week…
It makes for a perfect spread with a group of friends or family – heck, they can pick and choose and assemble their own!
Isn’t that the best kind of food? Food you have to get involved and get your hands a little dirty with?!
Spiced, sticky BBQ chicken with a pop of fresh, grilled pineapple, topped with a couple of slices of creamy avocado, fresh parsley and a generous dollop of soured cream, nestled on a bed of cheese, sprinkled over a toasted taco wrap. Jalapenos optional.
Serve it all up with some tortilla chips and fresh salsa and you’ve got a perfect meal.
Who doesn’t love a Mexican feast?
(Suddenly, my fish finger sandwich from earlier seems like a complete letdown!)
^ Seriously, just look at those char marks. If you’ve not griddled your fruit before, you’re short changing yourself. It intensifies the flavour and the smoky notes really add a whole new dimension. Another great example is grilled peaches.
Make these soon guys. I’m sure your friends/family/significant others will be super impressed with the party in their mouths. But don’t worry, it’s surprisingly easy to do and they don’t need to know that bit! I won’t tell if you don’t.
- 6 x mini wraps
- 1 x pineapple
- 600g chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning (I use this stuff)
- Olive oil
- 8 tbsp BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s is my fave)
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 x avocados, sliced thinly
- 2 x jalapenos, sliced
- Fresh parsley (or coriander), chopped
- Soured cream
- Salsa and tortilla chips to serve
- Sprinkle the cajun seasoning over chicken along with a teaspoon of olive oil. Mix well.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil before adding the chicken. Stir every minute or so until almost cooked through. Add the BBQ sauce and mix well until cooked. It should thicken up and form a sticky glaze.
- Slice the pineapple into rings and place on a searing hot griddle pan. Allow to char before flipping over and repeating on the other side. Remove peel and core, and chop into small chunks.
- On a high heat, toast the mini wraps on a clean, dry frying pan until just charred (20-30 seconds on each side).
- To assemble, place a toasted wrap on a plate, generously sprinkle with cheese, top with BBQ chicken and a few pieces of the grilled pineapple, before adding a couple of slices of ripe avocado and a dollop of soured cream, some fresh herbs and a couple of jalapenos if you like it hot! Serve up with some fresh salsa and tortilla chips.