Hope you’ve had a lovely bank holiday weekend – and If you’re one of my international readers, I hope you’ve had a great start to your week! =)
I had a bit of a cook-a-thon this weekend. I had my food delivery arranged for Friday and then just got stuck in! Everything from fresh bread to cheesecake to these virgin watermelon mojitos, or as I’m referring to them – mockitos. They’re the perfect concoction of watermelon, mint and lime, topped off with fiery ginger beer to give it some extra oomph.
I’ll let you into a little secret.
I don’t actually like watermelon! Ha!
I really want to. To the extent that I bought one after years to give it another go, but it just does not do it for me. It tastes too watery and the texture is so grainy, and omg, the endless seeds – God, I’m really selling you guys on this recipe, aren’t I?!
For me, galia will always reign supreme in the melon world. BUT – watermelon is just so pretty… I love the colours.
But, I’ll tell you what, in a drink with mint, lime and ginger beer, it’s actually kinda enjoyable.
I mean – doesn’t this have summer written all over it?!
I’ll still probably opt for a different fruit next time, though. But if you like watermelons, you’ll love this.
Ingredients (8 glasses)
- 1 small – medium watermelon (ideally store it in the fridge!)
- 2 cans ginger beer
- 4 limes
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- Ice to serve
- Make a simple syrup by heating equal parts water and sugar. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut up the watermelon and whizz in a blender. Mine produced around 1.2litres. Pour through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- If you want to be fancy, rub a halved lime along the rims of your glasses and dip in sugar, and add a sliced lime to the rim.
- Add a handful of ice to each glass.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime into each glass.
- Pull the mint leaves off the stems and split into the glasses.
- Top to the half way mark with the watermelon juice.
- Add a few spoons of the simple syrup to each glass and stir – this will vary based on how sweet your watermelon is and the juiciness of your limes so taste as you go!
- Top with ginger beer.
- Pop a straw in and enjoy!