Hope you had a wonderful weekend?
I spent far too much time in front of the telly, just chilling out, but, after a long week at work, it was exactly what I needed.
It definitely feels like spring is on the way now. The evenings are getting longer, and, not only is it nice to be able to leave work before it gets dark outside, but, it also means that when it inevitably takes me a lot longer than I think it will, to create a new recipe for my blog, I still have a few final rays of daylight for my photography…
I went to the supermarket on Thursday and after stocking up on lots of veggies, I couldn’t help myself, the chocolate jar just called out to me. I didn’t really know what I was going to use it for but, let’s be honest, Nutella is pretty damn great on anything, so that wasn’t really a worry. I mean, even on its own – it’s sheer, unadulterated goodness on a spoon.
But you’ll have to take my word on this one, in a cupcake – it’s magical.
These are basically, moist, fluffy Nutella cupcakes, topped with hazelnut-infused whipped cream frosting, drizzled with Nutella and toasted hazelnuts.
They’re so good guys – you really have to make them soon.
- 200g plain flour
- 115g caster sugar
- 10g cocoa powder
- 1.5tsp baking soda
- 150g Nutella
- 150ml buttermilk
- 115 salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 medium eggs
- 1.5 tsp instant coffee
- 125ml boiling water
- 600ml double cream
- 100ml hazelnut syrup
- 65g mascarpone cheese
- 25g icing sugar
- Nutella (2 tbsp)
- 50g hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- Line a cupcake tray with 18 cases.
- Sieve the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda) and whisk to mix.
- Mix together the buttermilk, eggs and butter with a whisk.
- Pour the boiling water into the coffee granules, stir, then add it to the Nutella. Mix well to combine.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix till half combined before adding the coffee and Nutella mixture. Whisk well.
- Equally, distribute the batter amongst the cases and bake for 14-16 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once done, place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the ingredients for the frosting to a large bowl. Use an electric whisk and whisk together until just thick enough to frost – be careful not to over do it.
- Add the hazelnuts to a flat tray and place in the oven to toast for 5-10mins. Once these are done, add them to a sandwich bag then crush with the end of a rolling pin.
- Using a piping bag and tip, swirl on the whipped cream frosting.
- Pop the Nutella in the microwave and heat for 15 seconds until softened and drizzle over. Top with the crushed, toasted hazelnuts.